Under California law, it is illegal for an employer:
- To make deductions from an employee’s wages due to a mistake or accident resulting in cash shortages, property damage or breakage. According to California courts, mistakes are inevitable and businesses have to bear such losses as normal business expenses.
- To deduct expenses such as workers compensation, insurance or claims from an employee’s check.
- To take a gratuity that was left for an employee. However, tip sharing or tip pooling is allowed if it is pooled by the employees who directly support customers.
- To require employees to pay for uniforms
- To required employee to pay any business expenses
- To required employee to pay for a medical or physical examination.